Sunday, May 23, 2010

The most restless destination of all- Shinjuku (新宿)

There's a Jackie Chan and Daniel Wu movie filmed in Shinjuku- The Shinjuku Incident.

I haven't watched that movie yet, though I heard it's quite a dark film depicted in violence and power abuse.

But shinjuku for me, without relating to the movie, is a restless yet spirited spot with the most complex labyrinth of transportation networks.

I recall the first day I reached Shinjuku taking Keio Line Train, I had to sit for a placement exam at the language school at west gate Shinjuku. I knew the address perfectly, but I had no single idea which direction should I head for.

There were 3 directions in Shinjuku, the east gate, west gate and south gate. The complexity of transportation by means of train was ridiculously worrying. Each line links to different places, and there were hundreds of lines, hundreds of entrances, hundreds of gates and openings from basements, ground levels, underpasses, tunnels, interlink shopping centres etc. One wrong turn would lead you to a place far far away from your desired destination.

The first day was the scariest of all, I found myself asking all the pedestrians repeatedly for the location of the school, but I ended up being lost within blocks of towers, because Japanese had no idea where a Japanese teaching school was, that's for sure.

And then I had to return to the original station, looked for public phones, spent a few 100yens making calls to the school and asked properly for the location again. I spent 1 hour wandering around Shinjuku.

Finally, I realized how near was the school, it was only within a 5 minutes walking distance. After that, Shinjuku officially became the place I've been visiting everyday for the 30days of my stay in Tokyo. Because from Monday to Friday, I had to attend classes, and even during weekends when I visited other places, Shinjuku was the interchange that I had to go through.

West Gate Shinjuku



The Cocoon Tower, was the building I'd been seeing all the time when I walked my way to the language school.



Odakyuu Departmental Store.



Night view of Shinjuku, it's a sleepless night.

East Gate Shinjuku



I did not visit the east gate much, but for sure it's as crowded as other gates.

South Gate Shinjuku



The Xmas deco for year 2009



Obviously the theme for the Xmas illumination was blue in 2009!



Shinjuku '09-'10 Southern Lights


My last day at Shinjuku.



There were a lot of shop lots selling electrical devices. The common way of advertising was none other than the shining and glimmering advert boards hanging all over the buildings.

Square Enix, some 20 minutes of walk from Shinjuku South Gate



Square Enix is a video game company distributing all Final Fantasy series franchises.



A life size figure of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII laying gorgeously in a glass container.

JR Line (Japan Railway Line)



Complicated Train System



Even a child can be this stylish:p

No comments:

Post a Comment